Best Electric Shaver [11 Top Razor Brands Compared] – Reviews & Buying Guide
We may earn a commission for purchases using our links. Learn more
Let’s take a look at the best electric shaver for men.
As a man with lots of commitments and responsibilities, every second counts. Over the years, you’ve managed to weed out procrastination and mastered the art of time management. This is great. But there’s just one problem. You still haven’t figured out a way to cut down on the time you spend shaving every other morning. Traditional shaving is a tedious process and can be frustrating for a guy who is looking to save on time or one who just doesn’t want the hassle of using shaving lotions gels and manual razors.
And since not shaving is not an option, you need a solution and fast. Luckily, the shaving industry is always inventing gadgets that make shaving an easy process. In this piece, I shall take you through their latest time-saving solution – electric razors.
Electric razors are designed to be convenient and fast. In addition to this, they are not technical. They are perfect for beginners.
With that said, before you spend your hard earned money, you need to pick the right razor. Not every ‘electric razor’ will afford you the same convenience and experience. For this reason, I’ve taken the time to prepare a review of the best electric shaver for men in 2019. I’ve also included a ‘how-to choose’ section, some shaving accessories and a quick comparison with other razor types.
TOP 5 Electric Razors (Summary)
- 1 TOP 5 Electric Razors (Summary)
- 2 Things to Consider Before You Buy an Electric Shaver
- 3 Rotary vs. Foil
- 4 Corded or Cordless
- 5 Battery Life
- 6 Trimmer and Blade Options
- 7 Speed
- 8 Dry and Wet Options
- 9 Warranty
- 10 Cost
- 11 11 Best Electric Razor Brands
- 11.1 1. Braun Series 7 790cc – Best Overall Choice
- 11.2 2. Panasonic ES8243A Arc4 Electric Razor For Men – Best Wet & Dry Razor
- 11.3 3. Phillips Norelco 8900 – Top Rotary Choice
- 11.4 4. Braun Series 9 9290CC – Expensive, But if You Want Nothing But The Best
- 11.5 5. Braun Series 7 7865cc – Top Choice For Sensitive Skin
- 11.6 6. Remington F5-5800 – Great Budget-Friendly Pick (Under $50)
- 11.7 7. Philips Norelco 1250X/40 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor (Series 8000) – Good For Wet & Dry
- 11.8 8. Philips Norelco 2100
- 11.9 9. Braun Series 3 ProSkin 3040s – Easy to Use Foil Shaver
- 11.10 10. Andis 17150 Profoil – The Proffesional’s Choice
- 11.11 11. Remington XR1400 Verso – Unique Design, Flexible Head
- 12 The Right Way to Shave Using an Electric Shaver
- 12.1 Deciding Between Dry and Wet Shaving
- 12.2 Lather and Wood Best Face Wash For Men – Good Value
- 12.3 Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shaving Cream – Natural US Made Shaving Cream
- 12.4 Omega Shaving Brush Boar Bristle AKA Pro 48 – Affordable Shaving Brush
- 12.5 Know the Sensitive Areas of Your Face
- 12.6 Shave These Sensitive Areas First
- 12.7 Allow it Some Time
- 12.8 How you Should Hold It
- 12.9 Shave Against the Grain
- 12.10 Wash After Shaving
- 12.11 Throw in a Trimmer
- 12.12 Follow the Post Shave Procedure
- 12.13 Brickell Instant Relief Aftershave For Men – Great Companion For Your Post Shaving Regime
- 12.14 Don’t Forget the Post Shave Process
- 13 Take Care of the Shaver
- 14 Difference Between Rotary and Foil Electric Shaver
- 15 Which Electric Shaver is Best For You?
- 16 Which one is the Best Electric Razor For Sensitive Skin?
- 17 Best Electric Razors (Shaver’s) VS. All the Rest
- 18 How I Choose Our Reviews For The Best Electric Shaver
- 19 Wrapping it up
Things to Consider Before You Buy an Electric Shaver
This section is super important. Since the electric razor market is flooded, you are bound to come across electric razors I’ve not covered in this list. When you do, you’ll need to determine if it’s a good electric razor or not. Here are some considerations you ought to make.
Rotary vs. Foil
Electric shavers are classified into two: rotary and foil shavers. While they both operate the same and are designed to achieve similar results, there are some notable differences. As a beginner, these differences may not be clear so I’ll spell them out for you a little later. For now, just note that rotary shavers are perfect for coarse and medium beard density. They are also effective on long beard hairs. On the other hand, experts insist that foil shavers are perfect for men with sensitive skin.
Corded or Cordless
In your search for the good electric shaver, you’ll come across those that have a power cord and those that don’t. Now, you probably thinking that cordless electric shavers trump corded shavers. But that’s not the case. There’s a lot to consider before picking one over the other. Some of the considerations include convenience freedom, battery lifespan, and power.
If you are always on the move (for business or pleasure) a cordless shaver would be best. The convenience and freedom they offer are through the roof. However, you’ll have to forgo power and always remind yourself to recharge the shaver.
This is a no-brainer the longer the battery life the better. You don’t want to be stuck with a cordless razor that will make you feel as though you are tethered to the socket because of how fast it runs out of juice and needs recharging.
Trimmer and Blade Options
One of the marks of high-quality electric razors is the multiple blade options they feature. These options will enable you to get a smooth shave. Generally, the more blade options a razor features the better. If you are into shaving details, you’ll also need to get a razor with multiple pop-up trimmers. With these trimmers, your sideburns, mustache, and beard will always be stunning.
The whole point of getting an electric shaver is to save on time right? So it doesn’t make sense to get a slow electric shaver – even though even slow electric shavers are faster than manual razors. Electric shaver speed is determined by how fast the blades move. This speed is recorded in cycles per minute. The faster the blade, the closer it can get to the skin for a smooth shave without causing irritations. The golden rule of thumb is not to pick anything that cannot reach 14,000 CPMs.
Dry and Wet Options
If you are the kind of man who prefers shaving right after you’ve showered (probably because you believe that your hairs are softer then and you can get an even closer shave then), you should get an electric razor with a wet shave option. Luckily, most electric razors today feature both wet and dry shaving options.
Like with everything else, you shouldn’t invest in an electric razor that doesn’t come with any form of warranty. Here’s why I don’t recommend the purchase of products without warranties. If the manufacturer doesn’t believe in the quality of his products enough to offer a warranty for a specific time, why should I? They should first believe in what they are selling before we can buy it don’t you think?
Last but not least, have a working budget before you hit the road. This is super important since the price of electric razors vary greatly. Without a working budget, you’ll easily lose yourself and get an item you hadn’t budgeted for. Set a reasonable working budget and stick to it. Luckily, electric shavers are affordable. Some are cheap and others expensive (but still affordable). Always find a balance between the price and the features offered.
11 Best Electric Razor Brands
1. Braun Series 7 790cc – Best Overall Choice
Braun launched this series back in 2010. Braun is one of the leading companies in the industry. It has earned its respect courtesy of the high-quality products it produces. For years, since 1938, the company has proven that it understands the needs of its consumers and works consistently to meet these needs.
The introduction of the 7 Series by Braun was a great move on their part. The line – and range of products – was and still is – magnificent and it won the company even more loyal customers. Braun Series 7 helped extend the lead it already had on other products. Today, no discussion of the best electric shaver for men can be conducted without the mention of the Braun series 7.
The Braun 7 790cc has unrivaled performance. In addition to this, its durability and comfort level is on another level. It helps in consistently achieving close shaves with minimal hassles. It is understandable why it is the best-selling shaver in the industry.
But reviewing the Braun series 7 is tricky as it is a challenge to decide on a starting point. The initial Series 7 product line included 4 shavers. But in 2016, more shavers were added to this. While the additions were to provide consumers with more options, it ended up causing some bit of confusion for the consumers.
The newest Series 7 versions are designed for both dry and wet use. This is a new feature that some of the savers in the older product line could not boast about. in addition to this, several minor changes were also made to the shavers.
Here are some functional features the Braun series 7 790cc shavers feature and that have helped the Braun brand and this line of product, to stand out from their competitors:
Multiple Shaving Settings
Braun was keen to add Normal, Extra Sensitive and Intensive shaving modes to the product line. These modes helped to create slightly more personal shaves while acknowledging the fact that skin types and beards are different.
Advanced Sonic Technology
This technology allows the Braun series 7 shavers to literally read your facial structure. The shaver will adapt to the contours on the face. In addition to this, it will also adjust to the density of the hair shaved. The shavers produce a whopping 10,000 micro-vibrations in every minute. This allows it to cut more hair with a single stroke.
Here is the beauty about Braun. The company came up with a technology and patented it. The ‘Active Lift’ technology, though seemingly simple is designed to eliminate problems experienced in reaching hair lying flat on the skin in the hard to reach areas including the neck. The middle trimmer oscillates and makes about 130 movements in a single second. This enables shavers to get into those hard to reach areas and shave the hair lying flat on your skin.
This technology features foil holes that are ergonomically designed. This helps them to capture more hair and cut even deeper ensures you extremely close shaves.
All shavers in the Braun 7 series product line-up features a precision trimmer designed to style beards.
Replacement Shaver Heads
All shavers in the Braun Series 7 has easy to replace razor heads available on Amazon.
2. Panasonic ES8243A Arc4 Electric Razor For Men – Best Wet & Dry Razor
This review wouldn’t be complete without featuring a product from Panasonic. Over the years Panasonic has built a name for itself and it’s no surprise that it leads the pack in this review. The ES8243A Arc4 is by far one of the best electric shavers on the market. The ES8243A is packed with features. Every feature and technology used is geared towards making it the best in yielding a close and smooth shave most men are after.
And here the thing – despite its many features the Panasonic ES8243A Arc4 has a super affordable price tag. It offers consumer great value for their money. If you like the option of wet and dry shaving, you will absolutely love this Panasonic shaver.
But enough with the hype. Let’s see what the Panasonic Arc4 is really made of.
- First off, why did Panasonic feel the need to add the word Arc4 to the razor’s name? Was it just to make the product name read well? No. actually, Arc4 denotes that the unit features a 4 blade shaving system. The system is complemented with Nanotech electronic blades slanted at 30 degrees. Needless to say, the blades are sharp. They capture, hold and lift hairs for an even cut right at the base. With this blade technology, the razor will yield a close shave in a shorter time in comparison to other electric razors. What’s more, the close shave is free from tugging and pulling we all hate. It’s this tugging and pulling that irritates the skin.
- The head is also one to watch out for. It is flexible and has a pivot which allows it to move side to side, up and down in a uniform and smooth motion. This head flexibility enables the razor to adjust to the contours on the jawline and the chin. It also makes it possible to shave in a circular motion which proves helpful for individuals who used rotary shavers.
- The Panasonic ES8243A runs on a linear motor. This motor moves the blades at a speed of 13,000 CPM. And here’s the best part. Despite such speeds, the unit is rather quiet. So for those days that you have to leave the house before the break of dawn (when everyone is still asleep), you’ll not cause unwarranted disturbance and noise. To top it all off, it is fast and delivers double cutting force in comparison to other electric shavers.
- As pointed out above, the ES8243A Arc4 has wet and dry shaving options. This means that you can use it with your shaving gel or soap or without for the days you are really running late for meetings. Heck, you can even use this shaver in the shower – it is waterproof.
- The Arc4 features an LCD (illuminated). This LCD has a timer, foil replacement, battery indicator, foil and blade replacement reminder, and cleaning reminders.
- Last but not least, I should point out that the shaver features a pop-up trimmer which makes it perfect for accurate detailing of your sideburns and mustache.
- For those with sensitive skin, Panasonic has got you covered with the Panasonic Arc4. They added a twist to the foils and blades by making them hypoallergenic. This property alone makes it perfect for use on sensitive skin.
3. Phillips Norelco 8900 – Top Rotary Choice
Admittedly, this shaver isn’t the fanciest I’ve come across. But this does not mean that it’s no good. If anything, it gives most of the fancy looking units a run for their money. Besides, the Phillips Norelco 8900 features functional features which earn it the respect of experts in the industry. These features include dry and wet shaving options which provide convenience and comfort.
Here is more of what the Norelco 89000 has to offer.
- The shaver sports Contour Detect Technology. This tech is innovative. It allows the shaving heads to make independent movements in 8 different directions and follow the facial contours closely for a closer shave. This tech is complemented with V Track precision blades.
- Now, these precision blades are designed to capture and lift hair. This places the hair in a better cutting position. This results in a comfortable, irritation-free close shave. Even better, these blades sharpen themselves – how cool is that.
- But if ‘bald shaving’ isn’t your thing, you can adjust the settings on the Norelco 8900 to choose whichever length shaving you prefer. The shaver has 5 length settings. With these, you can handle anything from a short beard to a neat stubble. Every set comes with its own comb and rounded tips to protect the skin from irritation.
- Another cool and functional feature is the SmartClean System. This technology allows you to clean the shaver as you charge it. The system features a dual filtration system which is perfect for cleaning foam, hair, and gel. The cleaning system also lubricates the blades to reduce friction. It is a great option for men who have sensitive skin.
- Note: there is a Norelco 8900 trim that doesn’t include a cleaning station.
- But just so you know what you’ll be missing out on, the cleaning station also features a heating system designed to dry the shaver. This is a feature that very few shavers can boast about.
- The Norelco 8900 also comes with 3 cutting heads that help the contour system adjust to your facial structure for a smooth and comfortable shave.
- The Phillips Norelco 8900 deserves to be on the list right? Given the 3 cutting heads, the Norelco 8900 is classified as a rotary type shaver. There’s a lot of noise and debate surrounding the effectiveness of foil and rotary type razors and which is better. Some experts swear by rotary shavers while others are loyal to foil shavers.
But generally, we all agree that rotary shavers are better for shaving coarse beards than foil shavers. On the flip side, foil shavers are commended for their prowess in achieving close shaves. As a rotary shaver, the Norelco 8900 matches up to the expectations – it shaves thick beards with great ease.
4. Braun Series 9 9290CC – Expensive, But if You Want Nothing But The Best
Braun is a reputable brand in the electric razor space. Most if not all of its products are of high quality and are affordably priced. For this reason, it’s hard not to notice when the brand labels one of its products as the best it has made so far. And of course, I took notice. I had to try it out and see if indeed the 9290CC is worth all the hype. And true to their word, the 9290CC is a force to reckon with. It has everything you’d want in an electric razor. But here’s the thing; you need to be willing to spend a little more cash.
During the testing phase, I sought to determine just how great the razor is with long beards, how durable it is, its safety and comfort. Here are my finding and the reason why Braun labels it the ‘world’s best and most efficient’ razor.
First, I’d like to point out that the 9290CC features advanced technology which allows it to work wonders on long beards. The shaving technology it sports includes 5 shaving elements synchronized to capture a lot more hair in a single stroke than most shavers can afford to. Part of the 5 elements are 4 cutting elements and a functional skin guard. In combination, these elements work to deliver a close and comfortable shave without causing skin irritation. The blades are made from titanium and they rest on a flexible head which improves shaving comfort all the more.
It’s worth noting that the 9290cc features specialized trimmers. These trimmers are designed to trap stubborn hair. In addition to this, the shaver features AutoSensing motors which hit speeds of 10,000CPM. This helps in guaranteeing an efficient shave even on thick and tough beards.
Another feature that has won the hearts of many users is the waterproof design. The 9290cc is perfect for both dry and wet shaving, this means that you can shave while in the shower and even rinse the shaver with water during cleaning. Speaking of cleaning, the 9290cc features a 5-action Clean and Charge station. This station cleans the unit thoroughly and hygienically. It also lubricates it and charges it. Courtesy of this station, you’ll have a fresh start with your razor on a daily basis.
As a cordless shaver, the 9290cc offers about 50 minutes of shaving. It runs on a Li-ion battery. This battery recharges to 100% in an hour. And just so that you are aware of the battery levels and how much time you have left, the shaver has an LCD display. The display provides a battery countdown up to the last 9 minutes of its use.
All shavers in the Braun Series 9 has easy to replace razor heads available on Amazon.
5. Braun Series 7 7865cc – Top Choice For Sensitive Skin
Braun is a German brand. And as you would expect from any German brand, the quality of the Braun series 7 (a line of exemplary electric shavers) is through the roof. That said, while the Brain Series 7 7865cc is not a flagship model, it is popular with the masses. It has been around for two years and still growing strong. But despite it being more than 2 years old, the technology it features is still relevant making it fun and effortless to use. These technologies make it perfect for use on sensitive skin and great for wet shaving.
And with that, let’s dig deeper on these technologies and see how and why the Braun Series 7865cc has won the hearts of many men.
Three Cutting Elements
This electric shaver features two foils and a trimmer positioned between the foils. The foils are designed to trim the short hairs – those closest to your skin. The trimmer, on the other hand, will cater to the longer hairs that stand out and those that lay flat on the skin.
Now, I should mention that the three elements are one less than those the 9290cc features. But on the bright side, their positioning, function and the SkinGuard feature the Braun electric shaver sports work to reduce irritation and friction when shaving. All these qualities make the Braun Series 7 7865cc the perfect shaver for men with sensitive skin.
Dry and Wet Shaving
This is yet another feature that men working with sensitive skin will benefit from. The inference of this feature is that the electric shaver can be used with or without shaving cream. As such, you will spend less time in the mirror getting rid of your facial hair.
Shaving Modes Features
Before we get to the shaving modes, it is important to point out that the motor housed by this shaver is powerful enough to cut through the coarse beard. But the power does not come at the expense of shaving on sensitive skin. You can say that it is powerful yet tender.
The tender bit is achieved by the power settings installed in the shaver. These power settings present you with 5 shaving modes. The modes range between aggressive and gentle. You can adjust the aggressiveness of the shaver to match the sensitivity of your skin. The gentlest shaving mode is perfect for the neck area which is usually more sensitive than the chin or the cheeks (for these areas, you can switch to more aggressive settings).
8-D Contour Adaptation
This new piece of technology was added to help the shaver adjust to the contours on your face. To achieve this feature, the shaver was designed with cutting elements that float freely and that can move in 8 directions. The design of the foils makes them best for use on the flat areas of the cheeks and on the neck. However, the pivoting ability will allow its use on the chin too.
6. Remington F5-5800 – Great Budget-Friendly Pick (Under $50)
Here’s the thing. Electric shavers come at varied price points. And while expensive electric shavers are praised for their quality and all, not every man is looking to pay a premium for a quality shaver especially when he can get the same results with one that is cheaper. After all, it’s all about striking a balance between quality and price.
Speaking of striking a perfect quality and cost balance, the F5-5800 shaver is the best electric budget shavers we’ve seen so far. This electric shaver is designed to provide a close and comfortable shave without crippling your bank account. Add to this the fact that Remington is a reputable brand name; you can understand why many men have fallen head over heels with this shaver.
And despite its low price point, Remington doesn’t cut back on the tech used. If anything, it tries to outdo its competitors. This electric razor comes with a bunch of features including an innovative flex foil system complete with an effective Interceptor Shaving Technology. The technology works in 3 stages. It pre-trims long hairs and provides a close shave with its flexible foils.
Moreover, the electric shaver is a beast. It is pretty darn powerful.
As for its head, it comes with a flex and pivot system. This allows the unit to adjust according to the contours on your jawline, chin, and face in general while maintaining close contact with the skin being shaved.
It’s also worth noting that this unit features surgical grade blade made of stainless steel. This will help you achieve a close shave with minimal hassle. Given that it’s made of steel and hence corrosion resistant, you can use water to clean it. You might not appreciate it now, but you will soon enough.
And as if that’s not enough, the unit is both cordless and corded. You can choose any you prefer. When you decide to go cordless, the unit will last for about an hour. In this state, you can recharge it in 5 minutes courtesy of its quick recharge technology. The 5 minutes will give you enough juice to complete a single shave.
Last but not least, the unit features a pop-up trimmer. This is perfect for detailing thick facial hair, sideburns, and mustaches as well.
7. Philips Norelco 1250X/40 SensoTouch 3D Electric Razor (Series 8000) – Good For Wet & Dry
This is yet another product from Philips. And like the Norelco 8900 reviewed above, this unit has a lot to offer its clients. But before we get into that, it’s worth pointing out that Philips Norelco decided to rebrand the SensoTouch 3D electric shavers to Norelco 8000 electric shavers. But in this review, I’ve decided to stick with the SensoTouch 3D brand name to avoid confusion. And besides, despite the name change, Philips Norelco has retained the shaver’s quality.
With that said, let’s dive into the details of what this unit has to offer.
- First and foremost, the unit features a GyroFlex 3D system. This system includes 3 dynamic heads. These heads all move independently of each other. They tilt inward, pivot and flex outward. In all these motions, they stick to the contours of your face.
- The shaving heads are also designed to capture all hair strands in the least number of strokes. This UltraTrack head design comes in handy when you’re running late but cannot leave the door without tidying up. The shaving tracks are specialized to shave everything from short stubbles to long hairs.
- This electric shaver can be used for both dry and wet use. The shaver features an AquaTec seal designed to protect it from moisture.
- The SensoTouch electric shaver features an ergonomic handle and grip. It’s easy and comfortable to handle. The handle provides optimal control even when your hands are wet.
- Philips added a nifty feature in its blade system. The system has two blades. One lifts the hairs from the skin and the second cuts the hairs. This system is efficient and comfortable. No stray hairs are left behind in its wake.
- It’s also worth noting that the unit comes with a trimmer designed to provide the accuracy needed to trim the goatee, mustache, and sideburns.
- Another amazing feature is the Jet Clean system. This system lubricates and cleans the system. And on top of that, it charges the system as well.
- When you use it without connection to a power source, the razor lasts for about 50 minutes. There is a tiny display that tells you how much juice you are running on and when you should replace your blades.
- Upon purchase, you receive the electric shaver in a protective pouch along with a handy travel lock. Philips also throws in a voltage function that switches to 240 AC from 100 AC automatically when needed. These features alone make it a perfect travel companion.
The Philips Norelco 2100 is labeled as a budget level and an entry level rotary shaver. But regardless of these labels, the shaver is really good.
Philips Norelco has built a solid reputation for itself around the creation of quality rotary shavers. The Philips Norelco 2100 is one that you are bound to fall in love with.
Here’s what I love about the rotary shaver:
- It provides a close shaver. Closer than any other rotary shaver in its class
- It is convenient and easy to use. Its blades are self-sharpening and deliver a comfortable shave free of irritations. Actually, these precision-engineered and durable
- The shaving heads flex in four directions. They can adjust to the contours on your neck and face. It also features a trimmer designed to maintain a neat mustache and trimming the sideburns
- The shaver is easy to clean. Moreover, it features a built-in LED that informs you when the battery needs to be recharged and when it’s fully charged.
- Cleaning the rotary shaver involves taking it apart. Luckily, doing this means pressing a button and you are good to go. After, you run it under water to remove some leftover hairs and excess skin
- The shaver has a great grip. This makes achieving a comfortable and smooth shave a breeze. Additionally, the unit comes with a lithium battery which provides 35 minutes of use.
- Note: the shaver is cordless
9. Braun Series 3 ProSkin 3040s – Easy to Use Foil Shaver
Braun is yet another brand that has built a solid reputation for itself over the years. But unlike most companies and electric shaver brands, Braun has built its reputation on a foundation of solid craftsmanship including simple easy to use designs. This prowess shines through in the S3 ProSkin electric razor.
Quick note: users give it a high rating for close shaves and ease of use.
The S3 ProSkin electric shaver features a bunch of technologies which make it one of a kind in the industry. These innovations and technologies include MicroComb and an efficient Triple Action Cutting technology. To top it all off, the unit is perfect for both dry and wet use. And unlike other electric shavers, it is waterproof. I also loved the textured rubber Braun included on the handle. It provides sufficient grip and control when shaving.
The Triple Action Cutting technology is a system featuring 3 shaving elements. These elements work together to provide a gentle and close shave. To complement this system, Braun has patented SensoFoil which works to protect the skin from the sharp blades. Moreover, the blades are pressure sensitive. They retract and protect your skin as you shave.
Additional comfort is achieved by the MicroComb technology which captures and lifts the hairs with every stroke made. This helps you achieve a smooth shave faster. What’s more, the unit uses straight strokes to prevent you from shaving the same spot over and over.
If you are the forgetful type, you’ll find the LED display quite helpful. It will alert you when you need to recharge the shaver. Speaking of recharge, the unit has a quick charge feature which provides enough juice for a single shave for just 5 minutes. When fully charged, the battery can last for 45 minutes.
Last but not least, it features a built-in trimmer which is perfect for detailed shavings like trimming your mustache and sideburns.
10. Andis 17150 Profoil – The Proffesional’s Choice
Truth be told, Andis is not one of the most popular brands in the industry. But despite this, it does have a long and rich history. The company started back in 1922. When it was first established, it went by the name Andis Clipper Company. To date, it manufacturers high-quality shavers and sells them to more than 90 countries worldwide. The one thing that has kept Andis in business is their consistency and insistence for quality. The 17150 Profoil gives a glimpse of the quality the company provides.
With that said, let’s dig deeper into that the Andis17150 has to offer. At first glance, the first thing you’ll notice is its compact and lightweight design. Courtesy of its small size, it’s easy to maneuver the shaver on your face – even in the trickiest spots including the jawline and neck. Additionally, its size makes it easy to carry around when on the road. Individuals with arthritis will especially love this lightweight and compact design. Moreover, the unit has a firm grip.
The shaver also features hypo allergenic foil heads which offer a comfortable and clean shave free of skin irritations. This is a big plus for individuals who have sensitive skin.
Now, while the 17150 Profoil shaver is corded, it also included a lithium-ion battery which allows cordless use. The shaver can run on the battery for 80 minutes. This is longer than what most electric shavers can offer.
In addition to the above, this Andis razor is preferred by professional barbers. Why? Well, for one, the shaver works on all beard lengths. This includes whiskers that are several days’ old and curly facial hair.
11. Remington XR1400 Verso – Unique Design, Flexible Head
‘Verso’ stands for versatility. The Remington XR1400 is a versatile shaver. It is a perfect daily shaver. It offers incredible results in changing detailed mustache and beard style and minor touch-ups.
The XR1400 is without a doubt one of the best rotary shavers from Remington. It sports an innovative design that is unique and functional. The razor fits comfortably and perfectly in the hand.
Aside from this, the unit has a lot more to offer. Here is a quick overview of what to expect.
- First, the XR1400 sports hyperflex technology. This technology allows the razor to adjust itself to all angles. The end result is a smoother and more comfortable shave without skin irritations – the kind experienced with low-quality shavers.
- The shave head can trim both short and long hairs with great efficiency
- It has a rubber grip on its handle. This handle adds comfort to its ergonomic design. Overall, the unit provides impeccable control when shaving.
- The XR1400 features PrecisionPlus tech which adapts to facial contours for a smooth and super close shave
- It features 10 comb lengths. These combs are adjustable. They allow efficient trimming of short stubbles and thick beards.
- The R1400 is waterproof and perfect for dry and wet shaving. In addition, it features charcoal infused bristle brushes attached to the shavers. These are designed to scrub away dirt, sweat, and oil. This brush gives the skin a thorough cleaning and helps to reduce irritation.
- It sports a lithiumlithium ionlithium-ion battery that lasts for 45 minutes before needing a recharge
- It comes with a durable travel pouch. This is a bonus feature. It makes the XR1400 a package that’s perfect for travellers.
The Right Way to Shave Using an Electric Shaver
Now that you have a list of some of the best electric shaver on the market, its time you learn the right way of using it. Note, having the best electric shaver is one thing and knowing how to use it to your advantage is another.
So let’s dive into it.
Deciding Between Dry and Wet Shaving
What does wet shaving mean? Simply put, it’s shaving that includes shaving gel and cream. For some shavers, it also means that you can use the razor in the shower. Now, if you do decide to use some shaving cream or soap, it’s important that you apply it generously and use a shaving brush if you have one (though you can still use your hands to apply the shaving cream). But whichever the case, give it some time to rest and soften your facial hair.
Lather and Wood Best Face Wash For Men – Good Value
Many of the face scrubs we have reviewed are either using natural beads to exfoliate or chemical ingredients. Each of these types has its pros and cons. However, the Lather and Wood face scrub combines the two types to maximize on their pros and yield most efficient results. In addition to chemical ingredients, the face scrub also features jojoba beads (which have been proven to be highly effective).
This combination face scrub is ideal for men that have unusually oily skin as well as those who don’t have a preference for the sensation given by either physical beads or chemical ingredients. This face scrub is also great for men with dry skin. However, for the men with dry skin, we advise that they proceed with caution as it doesn’t have any hydrating ingredients or effects (but it doesn’t make the skin any dryer).
But aside from the above, the real value in this face scrub is in the fact that it helps in reducing acne breakouts. It also smoothens the texture of your skin and makes it less oily.
And what about the scent? Well, the name says it all. But if you want proof, many consumers reviewing the product state that it has a woody scent. Now, depending on your perspective, this can either be a good thing or a bad thing.
If you intend to wear strong deodorant or cologne, you should be keen on the intensity of the face scrub’s scent. Check if the two scents will mix well or clash.
Last but not least, you get great value when you purchase this product since it comes in a big enough bottle.
Jack Black Beard Lube Conditioning Shaving Cream – Natural US Made Shaving Cream
If we were to take a poll and ask men which company offers men’s grooming products that lean towards the natural end of the scale and offer a luxury feel, they’d almost unanimously vote Jack Black.
The Jack Black Beard Lube lives up to the high standards set by Jack Legacy. And even better, it performs just as advertised.
We shall kick start this review by having a look at the ingredients that adorned this masterpiece. Given that the cream leans towards the natural side, the ingredients are natural. They include; Peppermint, Macadamia Nut Oil, Eucalyptus and Jojoba Oil. These ingredients will not only invigorate your facial hair, but they will also nourish and moisturize the skin once you are done shaving.
Moreover, you should note that this cream is latherless. As such, unlike with conventional creams and gels, with the Jack Black Beard Lube, you’ll see the area you are shaving and reduce the chances of nicking yourself.
This cream solution is efficient. And while some experts say that it’s perfect when you pair it with an excellent safety razor, we feel it’s better when used with disposable and cartridge razors.
Now, given the high efficiency and the quality natural ingredients used to make the cream, it’s only right that it is slightly more expensive than most creams on the list. But while you will pay a little extra for the cream, it offers value for money.
And in case you are wondering, yes, the Lube has a scent – and a manly scent at that. The lube has a subtle peppermint scent.
Omega Shaving Brush Boar Bristle AKA Pro 48 – Affordable Shaving Brush
Omega is a shaving brush company that has earned a solid reputation in the industry over the years. Its shaving brushes are professional-grade and loved by many men. The brushes are ideal for the men who want nothing less than high-quality brush bristles but at a pocket-friendly price.
So what does this boar brush has going on for it? Quite a number of things. But before we get into them, we should mention that the boar bristles used on the brush are not for everyone. This is because they are rougher in comparison to fine badger hairbrush. And on the other hand, they aren’t as durable as synthetic hairs.
However, they do have a small, devout following of men who will not have their faces touched by any other type of bristle material. If you are one of such men, or you simply want to try the boar brush and see what it has to offer, then you cannot afford to overlook the Omega. Here is why.
The quality of this Omega brush is above average. What this means is that the brush is well designed and has a tough construction. The materials are of high-quality (which is in line with the Omega quality standards). Moreover, the boar bristled brush is simple. Its simplicity appeals to many men, including us.
The handle is made from ABS plastic and is chrome plated for a beautiful finish. Because of the plastic material, the handle is light yet strong. The chrome plating elevates the look of the brush and helps it surpass the beauty of entry-level brushes.
The boar bristles are of high quality and are dense, which is expected from a boar bristled brush.
Know the Sensitive Areas of Your Face
Some men have areas on their face that are slightly more sensitive than others. These areas are susceptible to irritation. It’s important to take note of these areas before you start shaving.
Shave These Sensitive Areas First
Start with the sensitive areas before the shaver heats up. This helps to reduce irritation
Allow it Some Time
I’ve already pointed out that buying a shaver with a warranty is imperative. 30-day money back guarantee is ideal (though some offer more than this). In the case of electric shavers, the warranty is important since your facial hair and skin will take some bit of time before it fully adjusts to the new shaver. You shouldn’t give up. In about 3 weeks, you’ll see some great results.
How you Should Hold It
You should always hold your electric razor at a 90-degree angle to the skin. If you are using a foil shaver, makeup, down and sideways movements. But with a rotary shaver, circular motions will do.
Shave Against the Grain
Unlike with traditional blades, electric shavers require that you shave your facial hair against the grain. Also, as you shave, stretch the skin out with your free hand for a better shave in all directions.
Wash After Shaving
If you do not have a shaver that is for wet-shaving, you shouldn’t wash your face prior to dry shaving.
Don’t exert too much pressure. Too much of it may lead to skin irritations. Agreed, some parts may need you to exert more pressure, but even then, you should exercise caution.
Throw in a Trimmer
If you have long a beard, you should trim it down to shaving level. Hair clippers and head trimmers are used to level own long hair. Unless you are in the mood for some yanking, tugging and pulling, beard trimmers and clippers are the best.
Follow the Post Shave Procedure
Stretching your muscles is important before and after a workout. The stretching helps to relax your muscles and prevent muscle cramps during workouts. While stretching your facial muscles before and after your shaving routine may not increase the quality of a shave, you should follow a strict post shaving routine. This includes soothing your face to avoid irritations. Applying some quality aftershave is a great idea and so is cleaning your shaver after use.
Brickell Instant Relief Aftershave For Men – Great Companion For Your Post Shaving Regime
To compliment your straight razor, you can get the Brickell aftershave. Men who’ve used it testify to its calming, hydration, and protective effects. Unlike most aftershaves, the Brickell aftershave doesn’t cause skin irritations or clog pores. Moreover, it has a refreshing and masculine smell.
If you have sensitive skin prone to irritations (regardless of how careful you are when shaving), this aftershave will protect your skin. It also helps to moisturize the skin, repair damages and clear bacteria from the pores.
Don’t Forget the Post Shave Process
This process includes pampering the face once you are done shaving. The process includes washing the face with cold/warm water to get rid of residual shaving products and to close the skin pores. Next, pat your face dry with a clean and soft towel.
Lastly, apply some moisturizing aftershave lotion or cream. If you have sensitive skin you best stay away from scented aftershaves.
Take Care of the Shaver
Always clean the shaver after use. You can do this manually via cleaning solutions or running it under a faucet.
The benefits of owning a foil shaver are that they are easy to maintain and clean. Heck, some even come with cleaning brushes and others have dedicated cleaning stations that clean and lubricates the blades for reduced friction while shaving.
Keep Your Batteries Juiced Up
It is frustrating to have the shaver die on you in the middle of a shaving session. Charge the shaver before you use it to prevent inconveniences.
Is the Razor Easy to Clean?
It’s important that you are intentional with your razors cleaning and maintenance. Regular cleaning and maintenance will ensure the shaver lasts for long and is super-efficient for the length of time you have it. However, I should point out that proper maintenance and cleaning requires a plan.
Now, cleaning a razor varies from one model to the next. But be it as it my, you should strive to clean yours after every shaving session. Generally, all shavers are easier to clean in comparison to rotary shavers. Some of the more expensive units feature cleaning stations which make the cleaning process even easier.
Difference Between Rotary and Foil Electric Shaver
The type of electric shaver you choose depends on several factors including your skin type.
These shavers have been around for more than 100 years. They were the first electric shavers invented by man. Below are some characteristics of the best foil shaver.
- Foil heads feature oscillating blades. The head has a rectangular shape and is pivoted (though limited).
- The shaver has a thin metal foil covering its blades. This foil lifts the hair and guides it into the blades for a comfortable close shave.
- Foil shavers have several cutting blades. Some even have spring loaded heads
- In comparison to the rotary shaver, they are a bit noisy
- With foil shavers, the head is moved up, down and sideways. If you are used to rotary shavers, you’ll need to get used to these movements
- Fast foil shavers trap more hair with the thin metallic foil
Does it Include Replacement Foils?
Like traditional razors, electric shavers need blade replacements as well. You should check if the foil razor features a set of replaceable blades upon purchase. Additionally, you should check on the cost of the blade replacements.
- Despite being around for quite some time, rotary shavers are thought of being the modern electric shaver.
- Rotary shavers sport 3 circular heads. These heads cover spinning cutting blades. The outer guard is stationary and guides the hairs towards the blades
- Rotary shavers are engineered to match the contours on your face, jawline, and chin. Moving the shaver in a circular motion makes it easier to shave some of the tricky areas
- Rotary shavers can pivot in any direction. Moreover, they can gently flex inwards at the center of the circular heads. This feature makes them perfect for shaving around and in hard to reach spots on the face
- With rotary shavers, users need to make circular motions when shaving. Making up and down shaving motions will cause the shaver to tug on the hairs and irritate your skin
Can the Shaver Pivot?
Pivoting systems are essential. They are perfect for maneuvering shavers around face contours. The more flexible the head is, the easier it is for the shaver to adapt to your face’s natural contours.
Can the Shaver Cut Through Thick Hair?
Let’s agree on one thing – not all electric shavers, foil or rotary can cut through long and tough facial hair. The thing about thick beards is that the individual strands of hair grow in all directions. This makes the shaving process harder. But be it as it may, rotary shavers are up to the task. Their circular pivoting shaving technique makes the efficient against tough beards. However, note that they do not have the same capabilities. So make sure you purchase a rotary shaver that can handle hair a few days long and thick.
How Easy is it to Clean the Shaver?
Truth be told, rotary shavers are the easiest to clean. Actually, it’s easier to clean foil shavers than rotary shavers. To do a good job cleaning your rotary shaver, you should clean individual parts every few days. If the shaver comes with a cleaning dock, you’ll have an easier time cleaning the unit.
Which Electric Shaver is Best For You?
I know I’ve said that choosing between rotary and foil shavers boils down to personal preference. But even while this is true, you need to consider your skin type, how often you shave and your hair thickness.
Choose a Foil Shaver if:
- Your hair growth is strong
- You have fine facial hair of considerable length (not too long)
- You prefer shaving in a straight line
- You prefer to be bald on your cheeks
- You intend to shave daily
Choose a Rotary Shaver if:
- You have tough or regular skin
- Your beard is dense and your hairs are coarse and thick
- You will be cutting long hairs
- You don’t intend to shave on a daily basis
- Your beard grows in all directions
- You want a shaver to maneuver your contours with ease
Which one is the Best Electric Razor For Sensitive Skin?
Well, unfortunately, I don’t have a straightforward answer.
While rotary shavers are designed to hug the contours on your face and thus achieve a smooth clean shave with minimal irritation, I feel foil shavers are kinder. But whichever type you choose, bear in mind that cheap versions of either type will cause irritation.
Best Electric Razors (Shaver’s) VS. All the Rest
There’s a lot that electric razors bring to the table. This much is clear. But this does not refute the fact that other razor types are useful too. Below is how electric razors compare to the rest.
What you will love about them
- Convenience – you can use an electric shaver anytime and anywhere. You do not have to deal with shaving gels and creams. Cordless shavers are particularly convenient owing to their battery operation.
- Ease of use – unlike traditional wet shaving, there’s isn’t much technique to master with electric shavers. Beginners are bound to get a hang of it in a short while
- Safe – though there are chances of getting skin irritations, nicking yourself is close to impossible
What you may not like
- Close shave but not the closest – you will not get the same kind of ‘close shave’ using an electric razor like with a manual razor
- Battery powered – battery power is convenient. But it also means you have to keep an eye for the juice levels to know when to recharge
What you’ll love about them
- They are badass – yes, straight razors are old school. But they are damn cool. For years, it’s the only choice our great granddads and granddads had for shaving. They are starting to come back with more and more men develop a love for manual shaving.
- Close shave – its close shave is incomparable to any other. The blades are sharp and with the right technique, your cheeks will be super smooth.
What you won’t love
- Needs practice – for beginners, a little training is necessary to achieve a close and smooth shave.
- Price – most quality straight razors cost a lot more than other razor types
What you’ll love about them
- Covers all bases – safety razors address 3 main issues; safety, ease of use, and time. The learning curve is not as steep as with straight razors, but you will need to be more careful than you would when handling an electric razor
- Ideal price point – quality safety razors are affordably priced
- Options – safety razors come in three trims – three-piece, two-piece, and one piece designs
What you’ll love about them
- Availability – disposable razors are available in just about any store including pharmacies and supermarkets.
- Ease of use – they are designed with a beginner in mind. Its fixed angle reduces your chances of getting nicked
What you won’t like
- Price – the initial cost is low. But in the long run, because of razor replacements, the costs add up quickly
- Shaving – though you can get a close shave with this razor, it’s not the closest you can get
How I Choose Our Reviews For The Best Electric Shaver
I made several considerations when compiling the review list. At the top of the list of considerations was performance. Every top electric shaver I reviewed had to be perfect for all facial hairs. Additionally, I considered the features the shavers came with. These include ED displays, trimmers and whether they have dry and wet shaving options. Lastly, I considered the price. I listed shavers that have a perfect balance between quality and price.
Wrapping it up
And with that, I come to the end of yet another comprehensive review of the best electric shaver. I value your feedback. Feel free to reach out with your thoughts about the list or anything else. Looking forward to hearing from you.