Best Razor For Shaving Head – Reviews & Buying Guide 2019
Are you looking to have a clean shave on your chin? Using a razor is your best bet. The same goes for getting a close shave on your head. Razors achieve phenomenal results.
Now, do not misquote me on this. I’m not saying that other grooming kits and tools available on the market are whacks for shaving your head. No. If anything I believe they do get the work done in their own way. But from experience, there is just something about this tool. Probably it’s the old school feel it has or how it glides on the skin and hair. But whichever the case, all who have used razors for head shaving agree that they are effective tools and achieve one of the best results.
But to have a wholesome experience, you need more than just a razor. You need a great one. Below are reviews of the best razors I got my hands on for shaving your head.
5 Best Head Razors
- 1 5 Best Head Razors
- 1.1 1. Headblade ATX Starter Kit – The Ultimate Head Shaving Razor Kit
- 1.2 2. Parker Long-Handle Butterfly Open Razor – Best Safety Razor For Head Shaving
- 1.3 3. Dovo Solingen Long-Handle Safety Razor – Great Overall Razor
- 1.4 4. Gillette Mach3 Sensitive Cartridge Razor – Top Overall Disposable Razor
- 1.5 5. Dovo Solingen 2-Piece Double-Edge Razor – Best Overall Safety Razor
- 2 Best Shaving Cream For Head Shaving
- 3 How to Shave Your Head
- 4 What About Electric Shavers?
- 5 Best Razor For Head Shaving – a Conclusion
- 6 Popular Razors For Head Shaving
1. Headblade ATX Starter Kit – The Ultimate Head Shaving Razor Kit
Being a guy, there are very high chances that you are into stuff – manly stuff of course. Every time you launch on a new DIY project you have “stuff” including tools and materials all over the place. If you take your grooming seriously, then the same is probably true about it as well. The HeadBlade ATX Kit is bound to impress every man.
So what does it contain?
- It comes with a high-quality razor – the ATX Razor . It is the best for shaving your head.
- It also features Headblade4 refills
- 5 oz. shaving cream (HeadSlick)
The blades and cream provided are enough to serve you for a whopping two months. It’s also worth noting that the ATX can be used with Gillette, Old Spice, and Noxzema blades. With such compatibility, you’ll not have trouble finding a replacement for your dulling bade.
Over the years, women have complained that it’s difficult to get their men presents that they will love. To some extent this is true. But the gift-choosing task is made easier by knowing what your man needs.
So if you are a lady reading this guide for inspiration, this is “the” holiday gift to get.
Men, pass it on as a present. Buy it for yourself or a friend. Trust me, it’s unique and is unlike anything they’ve gotten before.
Writing this, I am also aware that not all men may be looking to get the entire package of goodies. And this is fine. However, I’d like to recommend that you at least get the ATX Razor. With its Mini-ATV feel, the razor is almost impossible to resist. Additionally, the design beats all others.
But despite this, its effectiveness in achieving a close shave is not impaired. Actually, like a mini ATV, the ATX is made for all kinds of terrains…. This is to mean that it can achieve a close shave regardless of the shape of your head. The wheels allow it to tightly follow the contours on your head and maximize on its ability to achieve a top outcome at all times.
The ATX also differs from other head shaving razors on how it’s operated. With the ATX, you’ll push it across the scalp rather than pull while shaving. This change will take some time to get used to. But once you get the groove, there’s no stopping you.
2. Parker Long-Handle Butterfly Open Razor – Best Safety Razor For Head Shaving
You probably are one of those men who appreciate old things that are functional and efficient. Well, you are not alone in this. Vintage no longer means ‘not useful’. If anything, vintage products are getting more attention and gaining popularity in the 21st century. There is something about using products our grandfather’s used that’s exciting. As such, it’s understandable why ‘vintage’ razors are getting such recognition.
Safety razors are making a major comeback – though if you are keen on trends, you’ll notice that they never really went away. They’ve been around and for good reasons. Just like they did in the past, they give efficient close shaves – the kind that you only get in professional barber shops. They are also a great option for shaving your head. This use ushers us into the Parker Butterfly.
You will undoubtedly fall in love with this one (also known as Parker 96R). The bald shave it affords you is exemplary.
With that said, let’s dive into the heart of the matter
What Are Safety Razors?
It’s simple really. Safety razors have positioned protective devices between the blade edges and the user’s skin.
A safety razor is not to be used on your head, but they are a tool you can use every day for your normal shaving regime.
They are not disposable and do not feature replaceable attachments.
And What’s up With the Butterfly Label?
The butterfly label simply means that it has a two door opening. The two doors reveal the razor head. When open, these doors resemble the wings of a butterfly. Hopefully, this clears up some bit of the mystery surrounding the Parker. However, it’s nowhere close to the full story.
Though this razor is popular for its butterfly head, it’s also famous for the superior shave it affords users.
It’s also worth noting that it sports a long handle. This provides users with extra reach and comfort – especially those with big hands. It makes it easier to access some of the hard-to-reach areas. Additionally, it is textured for flawless control.
Professionals have fallen in love with this tool. That said, it’s also great for everyone else as well. It features a brass frame and lasts for a long time.
3. Dovo Solingen Long-Handle Safety Razor – Great Overall Razor
Have you realized that any time you are reading a discussion on craftsmanship a German product has to feature? Whether its machinery or cars. Craft from this country is state of the art. Germany has built a trustworthy reputation over the years. And apparently, they are among the leaders in the razor industry.
The Merkur safety razor does justice to the hype built around it. As a Solingen product, its quality is top tier. It features a nice design and is bound to give you a thorough and bald shave.
With that said, here is a short list of what this beast has to offer.
Read my complete Merkur Long-Handled Safety Razor Review
4. Gillette Mach3 Sensitive Cartridge Razor – Top Overall Disposable Razor
Gifts are great. But gifts that are constantly giving and impressing are even better.
When it first debuted in the industry, this razor made huge ripples. It attracted a lot of attention and still does. As for its performance and price, it might not be the best but it is a long way from being the worst.
It’s important to note that this razor line features 2 disposable razor options – Sensitive and Turbo Power.
There’s also a family line which includes the 5-blade Gillette Fusion ProGlide. The three are great options.
What more can you expect from the Mach 3?
5. Dovo Solingen 2-Piece Double-Edge Razor – Best Overall Safety Razor
Yes, yet another Merkur razor has made it to this list. That in itself says something right? The company has been in business for quite a while. It demands respect and is almost the unspoken industry leader. It is praised in numerous reviews. With all these, it surely must be doing something right.
It delivers an excellent outcome without causing delicate skins to act up. It would be a shame to pay a premium and end up with rashes on your skin, right?
If you are a newbie in this game, you probably are lost with all this talk of the razor being great and functional. Well, the 2-piece (MK34c) is great for some very good reasons. First, it proves easy to use, even though our number 1 pick takes even less effort, being a dedicated head razor. Second, it is ideal for the skin on your head as it is pretty gentle. Speaking of which, it is this mildness that makes it the preferred option for many shaving newbies. The blade leaves a bit more room to fumble and learns the right shaving techniques without nicking yourself.
Additionally, the razor is affordable. You will get high-quality service and results without breaking the bank. No, we are not saying it is cheap, but for its price, the features and manufacturing standard you get are a bargain. Other units in its price-range may not come close in these terms.
That said, below is an expanded view of the features the razor sports
- It has a two-piece design. Note that it is not adjustable. It features a single blade.
- Like other razors from this brand, it features a classy and beautiful chrome-plated finish. The finishing elevates the standard of the razor’s status
- In comparison to other razors in its price-range, is lighter and proves easy to use
- The blade alignment is consistent. It makes it effortless to control and perfect for tender skin
- The two-piece allows for a faster and uncomplicated cleaning process as well as blade replacement
- Versatility is a plus that proves beneficial to both experts and newbies alike
- Though it is categorized as a mild razor, combine it with a Feather blade – or a Personna or Astra blade for a smooth shave
- The knurling pattern improves the control
Read our in-depth Merkur HD 34C review
Best Shaving Cream For Head Shaving
Now assuming you’ve picked an item from the above list, its time to choose your shaving cream. Before I proceed, I should mention that you could use shaving soap, shaving gel or shaving oil as well since they are designed to achieve the same goal.
Shaving creams vary in texture, scent, and effectiveness. But in all their diversity, they achieve the same goal – lubrication, prevent skin irritation and desensitization.
Some points to note for the best result:
- Shaving experts recommend that you avoid using cream packaged in cans. Why? Well, most are full of chemicals. And it goes without saying that slathering chemicals on your skin and scalp could have potentially harmful results such as irritation and razor burns
- Aside from the chemicals used, the other ingredients packed in the can are also cheap
Okay, now that you are warned, let’s have a look at some of the best creams for shaving your head.
1. Head Slick Shaving Cream – Best Cream For Your Head Shave
This cream is manufactured by the same company that designed the All-Terrain Razor. As such it is a high-quality cream created for this specific use. HeadBlade HeadSlick is created to provide users with smooth head shaves. And the best bit is that it’s water soluble. Due to this, you’ll have an easy time rinsing the blades.
To me, the cream felt like shaving lotion. This is because it doesn’t have a foamy feel most hair creams have. Nonetheless, it still affords you a totally effortless shave. And given that it’s mentholated, it’ll leave a fresh and cool sensation after a shave.
A bottle of this cream will last for 100 shaves.
Moreover, HeadSlick has no parabens.
2. Billy Jealousy Shave Cream – Not Only For Head Shaving
This cream feels like lotion. So no, it doesn’t foam. Actually, you can think of it as a shaving lubricant than anything else. It helps protect the skin from irritation and nicks. And on the plus side, it’s easy to rinse it off your blade.
Also, unlike most competitors, Billy Jealousy Cream will not dry off when it stays on the skin for prolonged periods. Due to this, you will not have to shave in a hurry. Take your time to achieve a proper shave. You also will not have to use water.
Unfortunately, a bottle of this is not cheap. However, it’s long lasting. In my opinion, it is well worth the expensive $ tag.
How to Shave Your Head
We’ve gone through the important tools you need to achieve a complete shave. Now let’s go through how you can achieve this. Truth be told, achieving it is a technique. You have to learn and master it. Fortunately, it’s not complicated and you can get a hang of it in a few minutes.
Here are some steps and tips to guide you through it:
- Ensure you have short hair before you start. If you have long hair, use balding clippers to cut it down to size.
- Shower first. The warm water and air will moisten and soften the hairs making it simple to achieve a clean bald shave
- Move your razor from the face and shave moving backward – AKA with the grain
- Begin with the area that is easy to see first
- Shave the back of the head last. And while you are at it, begin with the area around your neck and work your way forward and upwards.
- Quick tip – you can shave in front of a mirror. However, you can get confused since mirrors reflect laterally inverted images. Use your other hand (the one without your razor) to trail the razor movement.
- To avoid missing the area behind the ears and in the head corners, dry your head and perform a quick checkup of hair in these areas.
- Finally, apply some moisturizer with sunblock when you are done. It’s vital to use sunblock even when it’s not sunny outside.
What About Electric Shavers?
An electric shaver is a bit different, we will come back with a dedicated page with tips for shaving your head with electric razor ASAP.
Best Razor For Head Shaving – a Conclusion
Admittedly, there are lots of good razors available. However, the goal of writing this guide was to shine light beyond the normal and focus specifically on tools that are good for shaving your head. And since I don’t have resources and time to review all the best razors available I compiled a list of the very best razors narrowing down on the best for bald head shaving as well as the best shaving cream for head shaving. Let me know if there are some other model or related products on the market that should have made the “cut”!
Popular Razors For Head Shaving
Last update on 2019-08-23 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API